This is a pretty simple and quick dessert for your next camping trip. When I made it to take photos for the website, I used an aluminum foil dutch oven liner. Some people would rather not. Some people use parchment paper as a liner. I’ve made it each way. Since I was using a new oven that didn’t have a lot of seasoning on it, and I didn’t have a lot of time after our meal for cleanup, I opted to take the easy way out and use a liner in this case.
This has been a favorite at campouts with our Boy Scout troop, and our family. This cobbler is very similar to an apple crisp with a crumbly topping when it’s done. It goes really well with some ice cream!
Dutch Oven Apple Cobbler
- 10" or 12" Dutch Oven
- 2 21 oz cans apple pie filling
- 2 8.5 oz boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- Put both cans of apple pie filling on the bottom of the dutch oven
- Spread both boxes of corn muffin mix evenly over the apple pie filling
- Mix the cinnamon into the brown sugar, and spread evenly over the muffin mix
- Slice the stick of butter into pats and spread them on top of the cobbler.
- Bake with 12 charcoal briquettes on the lid, and 15 under the oven for approximately 30 minutes.